Friday, January 23, 2009

When they say you inhale your food, they don't usually mean it literally


It's been a hard week. Oskar has been really congested for the last six months and I have been to the allergist and the pediatrician and the pulmonologist and just haven't been able to figure out what is going on. On Wednesday he had a swallow study, which is a test where they have you drink barium and then x-ray as it goes down and it turns out that Oskar is aspirating fluid, which means that it is going into his lungs instead of his throat. They are having me thicken his fluids. It looks like he is drinking jello, but I am just devastated because I'm not sure what it all means. I feel like this is a new problem, and I'm scared. I feel like he is getting stronger in every other way, so I don't know why all of a sudden his swallowing reflex would deteriorate. I know life isn't always fair, and I try to believe that the Universe has a plan, but somedays it's sure hard to fathom what it is and why it has to be so hard. 

No comments: