Sunday, November 9, 2008

Glide memorial


Oskie and my mom and I went to Glide today. It's a methodist church in SF with a huge gospel choir and an incredibly diverse congregation. It always lifts me up, but today was especially moving. The church was packed to the rafters with people coming to celebrate hope. Watching a slide montage of images of Obama and MLK and homeless people holding signs about change with the 100 member gospel choir singing while a church full of total strangers holds hands and sway back and forth like Who's on Christmas morning was an amazing experience. Glide has a reputation for being a place of tolerance and love, and the crowd this morning was proof. I saw black and white, lesbian, gay, transgender, families with small children, old people, homeless people, recovering addicts. I do have to say, however that I wouldn't have wanted to be a Republican in that church today. I mean, there's only so much we can tolerate. 

No comments: